Pages

Monday 28 October 2013

Love It and List It: Language Apps

My first Love It and List It Linky! I've been following this linky from Jenna at Speech Room News for months, because it's always such a great way to find ideas, and now that I've started this blog I can finally join in!


This month's topic is Language Apps. I use my iPad a lot in therapy, because it's just so engaging for clients, easy to cart around with me, and there are a lot of wonderful apps that I can use to target just about any goal. Here are some of my favourite and most heavily used language apps:


What Doesn't Belong - A Spot the Diffence Finding Game


What Doesn't Belong is a really nice app where some silly people are using the wrong objects. The player has to identify what is wrong with the picture. I've used it a lot for early reasoning skills, to talk about things like object function, why questions and even some describing. And, it's free!


Mr Potato Head


Kids seem to absolutely love this Mr Potato Head game. I've used it for goals like following directions, describing, learning body parts and more. It's $2.99 and comes with a heap of different costumes for Mr and Mrs Potato head.


See Touch Learn


See Touch Learn is a really nice app for working on vocabulary, following simple directions and understanding modifications, adjectives and concepts. The visuals are simple, clear and use photos. The app itself is free and comes with a few lessons downloaded, but also has access to a library of lessons on a huge range of concepts and categories (each lesson in the library is around $1.99).


Toontastic Jr. Pirates Puppet Theater



Toontastic Jr. Pirates Puppet Theater is favourite story making app, where the child gets to choose a beginning, middle and end of their story, move the characters around and record their story audio. I use this app for working on spontaneous productions of syntax, morphology and even vocabulary goals. The best part is that the client gets to listen to their recording and hear any errors/achievements. You can get the app free, with one scene for each for the beginning, middle and end of the story, and I think it's around $5 to unlock all 12 scenes.

There you have it, my favourites for language apps. I'm always looking for new apps to use in therapy, so I'm really looking forward to having a peek at everyone else's apps of choice!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rylie! THanks for linking up!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the link up! It was fun!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love to use Toontastic-I haven't seen the Toontastic junior-that sounds like a great app! And I'm putting What doesn't belong on my wish list too. Do they just touch the item that is incorrect or do they need to replace it with the correct object? Either way, it sounds great! Thanks for the ideas

    Kelly
    Speech2u.blogspot.com
    Speech2u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I like Toontastic too. Toontastic Jr is very similar but much more simplified and targeted at preschoolers and younger kiddos. You don't have to do the setup, conflict, challenge, climax and resolution like in Toontastic, you just pick three scenes and record some audio and move the characters around for each.

      For What Doesn't Belong, yes, they just touch the object. The voice over does tell you what the item should be too, which is a nice touch.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a good portion of people will miss your excellent writing due to this problem.speech therapy Duluth GA

    ReplyDelete